In attempt to replace our existing help desk ticketing system I recently had to install Redmine 0.9.3 on Ubuntu 9.10 for my work. While I have had a great deal of luck with the 0.8.5 and 0.8.7 versions of this software the newer versions now require a updated version of Phusion Passenger. In order to accommodate this it was necessary to take the following steps.
1. Uninstall libapache2-mod-passenger, i.e. "apt-get remove libapache2-mod-passenger"
2. Acquire the security key from brightbox with "wget http://apt.brightbox.net/release.asc -O - | apt-key add -"
3. Add the brightbox repository to your sources with "wget -c http://apt.brightbox.net/sources/hardy/brightbox.list -P /etc/apt/sources.list.d/" (I know that this is a repository for a older version of ubuntu but it was the one I got to work)
4. Refresh your package list with "apt-get update"
5. Install package with "apt-get install libapache2-mod-passenger"
6. Re-enable the module with apache with "a2enmod passenger"
7. Then restart apache
A few notes:
I was running all of these commands as superuser
I was assuming that apache was not running when I started
Also with the new redmine remember that application_controller.rb now needs to be named application.rb